Saturday, September 17, 2005

Enneagram and Personality Plus

I’ve just returned from Mai’s b’day. I feel great. I wish every weekend we have party. It was cool. Happy B’Day Mai.. We need sometimes to enjoy the life. :))



Enneagram


I supposed to post this yesterday.


Today’s Enneagram presented by Keith and Michael is cool. To be honest, I’m number three (3), The Achiever. Some part of number 1 (The Reformer) and 2 (The Helper) are my characters.

I’m interested in this stuff. One book of my favorite dealing with this Personality type is Personality Plus written by Florence Littauer. She divides the personality into four basic characters; Melancholic, Phlegmatic, Sanguine,Choleric. My type is more the combination of Melancholic and Choleric. In comparison with The enneagram, it’s most like the combination of number 3, 2 and 1. Besides, I think this is part of my Melancholic personality, as I like to deal with self-things to know, I read a couple of things about Chinese Astrology, general Astrology, Numerology and things. My Chinese Astrology sign is Dragon, My West astrology is Scorpion and Numerology number is 8.

Here are some basic information about Florence’s Personality Plus. She devided the personality in four basic named as follow
SanguineThe Sanguine is the popular person who wants to have fun out of every situation and be the life of the party. Sanguine love to talk.
Choleric
The Choleric is the powerful person who wants to take control of every situation and make decisions for others. Choleric love to work.
Melancholy
The Melancholy is the perfect person who wants everything done in order and done properly and who appreciates art and music. Melancholies love to analyze.
Phlegmatic
The Phlegmatic is the peaceful person who wants to stay out of trouble, keep life on an even keel, and get along with everybody. Phlegmatics like to rest.

Why I want to know that things is simple. I just want to know the nature of my activity or what behind me drives my behavior. Anyhow, I concluded that the personality type can be changed from time to time based on what we do and how certain environment influences us. It’s not a fate instead of something dynamic along with the deed we conduct day by day.

My personality however changed. When I was student; undergrad student, I was most matched with Melancholic. I used to be perfectionist or never at all, in order, loving anlyzing things, quiet, reserved. We loved books. This made me graduate Cum Laude :)). That’s funny.. The problem was I’d rather to talk depth with one or two persons than talking with many people. And I have only two or three closed friends which I dealt much.

But things change. Especially when I almost finished my undergrad. It was in 1997 and 1998 when I was much and almost all my time spent for student demonstration protest against the Soeharto’s Regime. As student leaders, we dealt much with leading street demonstration. It forced me to be in the front row on the street, managed the peaceful demonstrations and made decisions. A lot books dealing with self-reflection influenced me too.

1999 was the searching point of my life and I gradually shifted to The Achiever (in the perspective of enneagram) or to Choleric according to Personality Plus of Littauer. Until now on, most Choleric things drive my behaviour as well as my Melancholic personality.

My Choleric personality experiences worked much better in chaotic situation. I quickly assessed what needed to be done and as fast as possible. Speed is our color. I think I’ve done good job for special events like Emergency Respond of Tsunami in Aceh and of Earthquake disaster in Nias currently. For long term, I re-built up my organization, LPAM-Nias. When previous Director was elected as Electoral Commision Member of North Sumatra Province, he just let the organization away without any intention to make it better. I handled it then as Director on the last February with a long previous process. I now have responsible for at least 2.000 students for their school building and around 875 family members are waiting for their houses reconstruction. The rest are my staffs and volunteers who depend their life on LPAM-Nias. Huge responsibility, but that’s it, I think I have to do it. Anyhow, I know that sometimes I’m alone. At least, I feel alone. It’s not easy for me to find a “right” person to talk to. Just because when I decide to whom I talk and then all things in mind and in my heart, I will let her/him know. And it’s not easy to find the right person. My choleric personality is very often reluctant to confess my weakness and the situation when I’m vulnerable to others.

For us Choleric, self-esteem is very important. We don’t work for the shake of money, for example. We do something just because we think we should do that and we very often do things the best we can do. Another character of us Choleric is persistent and loyal. Yes, we are loyal for someone who we love. And we have strong, brave heart and willing to be out of the main stream. "Brave Heart"is my fave film. Arrogance and feeling superiority can kill us the choleric ones.

So, I can understand that sometimes I’m just so exiciting and very optimistic in this life because of my Choleric types. But in certain times, I can be out of crowd just sitting and keep analyzing as a part of my melancholic one.

Favourite quoetes
“sooner or later, we’ll get it’.
"whatever it takes"
"the best I can be"



You can visit http://www.enneagraminstitute.com

No comments: