Sunday, November 06, 2011

Thinking of doing PhD. If the question is why I would do that, well to be honest doing this M.Phil now is quite interesting and in a way I find that doing research is quite challenging. I learn a lot. I do. It's not easy but worth it.

I begin to enjoy intellectual debates, and come to realisation that maybe just maybe if I have better knowledge I might be able to bring any good impact however small it is for farmers particularly when it comes to policy decision making or any decision considering their interest. If, say spending another three years, could make difference later in life why not to take the chance. Spending three years doing projects or say working for instance could also make a difference. However, the dimension might be not quite same. Let's be very sceptical, I won't change the world but at least can do something good to just a person, that would be enough. What else to do in life? At the very least, call it as a paying back. Paying back to people who once do good thing in my life. That's a thought lately.
 
Last year, the thought to pursue PhD was not as stronger as now. I don't know. Last year was like, try to illustrate it as a soldier gets into a battle field without proper preparation on that particular field, continuously given shots and the only thing could be done is defending one self and trying to escape. lol. I feel better now though. Well, not to mention get used to all British things; weather, language and cultural barrier, academic life, people, so on and so forth. Another critical factor, i guess is the idea to come home as soon as possible occupying my thought. Nothing's wrong with that but seems it fades away. It's not that I don't want to, but it's something beyond my power and thought. Well, I'll be back home for sure anyway, next year and try to find any activity (job if you like) to work with cocoa farmers and then do the PhD. That's the Plan A. Plan B? working :)

No comments: