Friday, September 30, 2005

Gender

Early in the morning, I, Catherine, Sun Jie, Yulia, Pearl, Ginny and Mai went to China Town to buy things for tomorrow's potlatch. It's my first time to go there. There were lot things to buy there and cheap. Then we stopped by Daiae (?) for another shopping. Tomorrow I will serve Russian salad (?) along with Yulia. Don’t ask me to prepare Indonesian food. God knows….. :D.

We went back to dorms and almost late for another class, I was late 5 minutes though. Today’s class about gender was interesting. Hye Sung, Prakash, Me, Tamara, and Catherine presented our view about gender and how it’s affected the leadership. Prior to this, there was a discussion group. Me, Maita, Tashi and Adriana. I think my point of view toward woman and the leadership is clear. Leadership and equal opportunity should be based regardless gender. I don’t think I have a problem with that except that I think I realize that in certain aspect I’m a kind of gender bias. It surprised me when Adriana had argument that there are no such gender characteristics. I mean certain characteristics in which associated with certain gender. Hmm... Despite my position regarding the gender in which I think it’s not problem but then when it came up to the characteristics / treat associated with the gender, I think my arguments are gender bias. My arguments are weak. It’s just one click and then I think Adriana is right. She explained about socio construction toward the gender. When woman and man are born, they are obviously not inherited by certain characters dealing with gender. But the society then formed or constructed certain characteristics associated with that sex. Just like race, white or color, there were no such characteristics inherited with color or white skin. Hmm.. It makes sense. Thanks… (seems like she’s excited to discuss about it and might have references about this gender)

One more I think impressed me was when Nilu disagreed on my last sentence of my presentation. I said that, I’m not pretty sure if I could do this if I were a woman. A kind of angry in her face but true. Yeah, I think it was a mistake of mine. I supposed not to say that. There are a lot tough woman and even tougher than me. They can even make better than me. Though, in the community I live it’s little bit difficult to find that. Again, she was right and I think yup... that’s right…

But there just one point disturbing me. When I as a man tried to accept the perspective that there’s no any woman or man leadership, woman and man are equal and there’s not should be any difference toward the gender. But somehow I think Catherine and Zarina’s point of view this morning were still gender bias. Hmm.. I understand that in certain community even in United States here, there is still a perspective of male superiority. Again I disagree with that but somehow Catherine and Zarina’s view are still trapped on that frame. It’s not easy then.. I have to admit that I need to read more about the gender issue references to understand the whole concept I think.

Mahalo for the good day…
***

No comments: